Of all the places to study abroad, few countries offer the same breadth of experience and cultural horizons that India can impart to a young American. So if you need to know how to call the USA from India, keep reading because we can help!
India is a vast land of great ethnic and topographical diversity. A trip to India, especially for a young student, will leave an indelible impression. So much to see and do, you’ll definitely feel the need to be calling U.S. from India. After all, what good is an amazing story unless you can share it with someone? Well, Vonage will be there the whole way, so you can call the U.S. from India without thinking twice about the cost or connections.
When you sign up for our top plan, Vonage World®, we’ll assign you a new domestic U.S. phone number, which will be programmed to the Vonage Box™ that we’ll send you. With this box, you can call the USA from India to any cell or landline. Conversely, your loved ones can reach out to you…all for the same basic monthly payment! Just take the Vonage Box to India with you and plug it into a high-speed Internet connection. Then you’re all set and can start calling the USA from India whenever you want. Also, since you’ll be taking a U.S. phone number with you (via the Vonage Box), your friends and family will be reaching you at a low, domestic price. Even better, when you return to the U.S., your number doesn’t change. It’s international dialing made easy.
In addition, with every Vonage World plan you’ll get:
- Unlimited1 calling to landlines in over 60 countries — like the U.S. and India!
- Unlimited1 calling to U.S. mobiles as well as more than 10 other countries!
- Free Vonage-to-Vonage calls.
- Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting and many other standard features.
If you think you’ll be spending most of your time on the go rather than in one spot like a dorm or apartment, then Vonage Mobile® might be a better fit to help you call from India to the USA. It’s a free-to-download app that will let you call to the USA from India whenever for however long you want1! Grab it for virtually any smartphone, whether AndroidTM or iPhone®, at Google PlayTM or iTunes®. All your calls or texts will be free as long as everyone on the call or text has the app on their phone. Not too bad, right? Some other included features are:
- Free to download, free to use+.
- Call and text worldwide for free+. Call and text free of charge to any smartphone around the globe that also has the Vonage Mobile app.
- Call any phone in America for free. For a limited time, call any phone in the U.S. from India (landlines or mobiles), Vonage or non-Vonage, absolutely free!
- International calling rates. Vonage Mobile provides great low calling rates to all non-Vonage Mobile contacts: 30% less than SkypeTM and 70% less than other major mobile carriers!2
You’re going to have an unbelievable time in India and now you know about two fantastic options for calling from India to the U.S. Here are a few other important items you should be prepared to confront:
- In development. India is as famous for its beautiful scenery as it is for its emerging economy and enormous influence in the high-tech world. However, it is also recognized for its significantly high rate of poverty. You’ll find that overcrowding is prevalent in many cities, yes, even in the more prosperous. You should prepare yourself emotionally to encounter some visible misfortune on your travels.
- Hydration nation. Whether you’re in a monsoon- drenched or desert-covered area of India, you’ll need a ready supply of clean water that you can trust. It’s always a good idea to boil open-source water (for example, from a tap), but you can try bottled water as well, though you’ll be adding to the unnecessary plastic waste. Just make sure the seal is intact before drinking, and that the bottle doesn’t look as if it was previously crushed/overly dented. Water-purification tablets are an even easier option and much more cost effective.
- Rest well. A lot of U.S. travelers who spend excessive time overseas in hot, humid nations eventually experience something called tropical fatigue. Besides the weather/climate, the main causes are emotional and mental strain due to a lack of proper relaxation, heavy drinking and partying or over-exertion at work or study. So take it easy on yourself.
+Standard data rates apply.
*Free calling service is for personal, non-commercial calling to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, and does not include calls to certain geographic locations, premium and special services numbers, satellite telephony services and other call forwarding services. Not to exceed 3000 minutes per month.
¹Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.
2Based on per-minute rates to the top 50 countries called. Comparison reflects published rates of leading mobile carriers in markets representing the majority of iPhone® and Android™ users.